Monday, November 29, 2010

Final Project

For the final project of the semester, I would like students to apply their writing/rhetorical skills beyond their blog. I am providing several options for potential projects, but I am also open to suggestions. Essentially, I would like this project to reach a wider audience than your blog and be published to an active community (Wikipedia, Salon, Youtube, etc). The project could tie in with your blog topic, but could also be about another topic entirely. I provide a few options for projects below, but I am also open to suggestions. I would like each student to send me an email by Friday, December 3 explaining what they would like to do for a final project. After I receive the email, I will negotiate with each student exactly what they will complete for the final project. I anticipate each final project being a significant effort and learning experience, but not necessarily a huge time commitment (considering that we only have about two weeks left).

Final Projects will be due by December 15. The length and form of submission will depend on the project and will be negotiated between the instructor and the student.

POTENTIAL PROJECTS:

Editing Wikipedia Entries: Choose a wikipedia entry for a subject you know well and make a substantial edit, or choose a legitimate topic that lacks a wikipedia page and create it.

Create a YouTube Video: Produce and publish a Youtube video about a subject of your choosing. The video should have good production value and be interesting for its intended audience.

Create a Remix Project: The digital age is characterized by compositions that make something new out of existing texts, such as Garfield Minus Garfield or this re-cut George Costanza trailer. Your final project could create a significant new composition out of existing published works.

Create a Podcast: Record and edit a podcast and publish it on iTunes. Podcasts should be focused, professional, and well-produced.

Post on OpenSalon: Post a few substantial blog posts on OpenSalon or a similar social networking blogging site.

No comments:

Post a Comment